Video editing may already be something that many know today. However, sometimes we feel confused when we meet a device that we do not usually use in everyday life. Therefore, this time we will find out the most basic trick in editing videos is cutting or trimming videos on various devices.
Advances in technology and social media make everyone need to have the ability to edit videos for information needs. Various devices used daily both PC and smartphone provide ease in video editing. Here are some ways to cut videos on your computer and smartphone.
How to cut videos in Windows
Especially if you are a Microsoft Windows 10 user, no need to worry anymore to find a video editing application, because you just follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the video file, and select “open with” > “photo”.
- Select the “trim” menu on the menu at the top right of the windows.
- Slide two white markers adjusting to which part you’re going to start and end the video you’re editing. Don’t be distracted by blue markers because the function of that selection is only as a preview of the video you’re currently viewing.
- After shifting the video area as you want, you just click the “option” button at the top right of the windows.
- Save files with file names and videos like storing files in general.
How to cut video on a smartphone
1. Crop videos on Android
Many third-party applications can help you do the video editing process on your smartphone. Well, currently all android devices already provide their own editing application so you do not need to download other video editing applications. This is how:
- Open the built-in video player on your Android.
- Select the video you want to edit.
- Press the menu button on your smartphone and an option will appear regarding your video.
- Select the trim menu from the list of options.
- Next, you can determine the starting and ending points of the video according to your wishes.
- After this process, the video will be stored automatically on your Android smartphone.
Crop videos with Samsung’s built-in app
Some device brands also provide the ease of cutting and editing videos through their own built-in applications such as Samsung. For you Samsung users, you can use this method to cut videos:
- Go to the gallery app and choose which video you’ll edit.
- Select the edit menu > studio > video trimmer.
- Once the video trimmer opens use a yellow marker to select the beginning and end of the video you will cut.
- After the tagging process (crop the video) is complete select “done”.
- After that, write the file name as desired when the popup appears. However, you need to know that Samsung does not automatically store video files that you have trimmed. Therefore, you need to give a different name and type “save” from the previous video so that the file does not stack up.
- After that, you can view the video file that has been cut in the gallery and share it through the options menu in the upper right corner. Select “share via”, then select what media you will use to save.
- Open the photo app on your iPhone.
- Select the video you want to cut and edit.
- Select the Edit menu in the upper-right corner of the iPhone.
- Move the markers on both sides of the video as desired where the video will start and end (you can use the play button to make sure the video is cropped as you wish).
- Select the finish menu and select save as a new clip so that the original file is not deleted, select as you wish.
- If you haven’t downloaded the app yet, you can download VLC.
- If it’s already installed, open the video file you want to edit with the VLC app. Select the “media” menu and select “open file”. After the explore menu appears, select the video to edit.
- You can also use the Ctrl+O shortcut to shorten the process above.
- Once the video is open, you can bring up the control editing menu by selecting the View menu in the menu bar above, then selecting advance control.
- Then, play the video with the play button and stop with the pause key (you can also use spaces on your keyboard). The frame by frame button is also useful for selecting sections with higher detail on the video clip to be edited.
- Then, select the record button (red circle or Ctrl+R) to record from the starting point of the video to the end according to your wishes and then stop recording. (Basically, the editing process via VLC is the process of re-recording the video by adjusting the start and endpoints as you wish).
- Once the recording is complete, the last step you need to do is to look for the clip you have trimmed. VLC applications will usually display videos that you have edited automatically in the video folder on disk C: your computer.
- From there, you can change the file name as you wish.